After only a few days, many readers have asked me how difficult it is to start a blog. I was blown away about how easy the process is (once you decipher all of the nerd talk) and I’ll be more than happy to show you the step-by-step guide to start a blog below. As I have explained on my website, I had zero experience with websites and how the whole process worked. But, after I conducted a LOT of research, watched several YouTube videos, read extensive product reviews, and finally put it all together, I figure I owe it to the team to provide a simple guide to start a blog. You are most welcome America.
Now, here are a few reasons you may want to consider building a blog if you are on the fence:
- Your audience is incredibly large! Before I even launched the website, I had just under 400 views on my website. When I officially launched, I’m getting around 100+ views a day (keep in mind that I’m writing this Step-by-Step guide on the first week of my official launch). Almost daily, I reach a new personal best for daily visits.
- You can make money doing it! Now, I legitimately love to help people out, especially when it comes to the fundamentals of personal finance. But, I’ve been learning how to do this affiliate thing and I recommend people to incredible products, most I already use or already highly recommend, and they (the company) pay me for directing a visitor to use that product AT NO EXTRA EXPENSE TO THE CUSTOMER. Pretty cool right? So the links to all of these websites are below. Make sure you get the newest discounts by using my links and remember, this is at no extra charge to you.
- Still on the fence? Check out how to make money with a niche website and sign up for my FREE email course that will compliment this guide to start a blog!
Truth is, once you can break through the nerdiness of what electrons power which interceptor, or something like that, the process is quite easy. There are four overarching steps you need to follow:
1) You need to choose a company that is going to put your name on the Internet. Again, the nerds complicate this by saying, “you need to find a host that will list your domain name on a server.” Like I said earlier, I conducted extensive research and translating the language of the nerds and Bluehost is the obvious choice if you want to one day build a blog that has the potential to make you money. When I had an issue signing up, I gave them a call and actually talked to some people who were obviously trained to speak a language other than nerd. Bluehost currently offering to put your name on the Internet for like $3.95/mo. To get the best deal, I chose the 36 months and the one time payment. It was surprisingly cheap and I won’t have to worry about renewing for a long time. Again, you can find that promotion by clicking this link here or the image below.
2) You need to think of a name. You know, like Google, Amazon, etc. I chose BudgetChaos. The nerds call this a Domain. The issue is that a bunch of little jerks literally spend all day buying Domain names to hopefully sell to you at a ridiculous price. So make sure you can think of SEVERAL names because most likely some a$$hole already took it. You can search to see if the little a$$hole took your name on Bluehost.
3) There are different kinds of websites that use different programs. The best way to explain this, in my opinion, is that there are different leagues. If you are looking for the professional league (i.e. MLB, NFL, Nascar, etc.) then you want to go with WordPress. In the language of the nerds, they call WordPress a platform or something dumb like that. What that means to you is that since you went with Bluehost, you have to click one button and WordPress is set up. Done. (Seeing a trend? Go with Bluehost)
4) Now, since I know absolutely nothing about coding and I value spending time with my wife and friends, and I don’t want to spend every hour of my day in my mom’s basement, I chose a theme that already looked pretty cool. I personally use the Authority Pro Theme from Studiopress. These guys are extremely non-nerd friendly. The way they built there theme is by creating two different frameworks – meaning – you can make a bunch of changes to your website without screwing up all of the nerd code. So when I update my website or make changes, I don’t touch any of the crap that makes the website look and function like a nerd website! Which is pretty freaking awesome! You can get learn more about the framework and themes by clicking Why Genesis is the Foundation of Any Smart WordPress Design or the image below.